Saturday, May 26, 2012

Supplement Review #1: Gu Energy Gel (Tri-Berry)

Image courtesy of singletracks.com


As I was thinking of what I was going to write for this post, I started thinking about how I refer to tri-berry Gu as "ol' faithful."  This is what I used before the marathon, before Broad Street, and usually use before long runs.  I like the flavor and that it has caffeine, but not too much caffeine.

Also, a little side note before I get into my review: I learned recently just how important sodium is when you're running, especially in heat.  Namely, I learned it the other day when I cramped up on mile 4, not long after drinking about 8 oz. of water (running in 80 degrees with 93% humidity).  That's why I'm making sure to put the info on sodium content into my reviews.  And also, if you're reading this, DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!  Isn't that why we runners read these blogs and online forums? :)

The nutrition facts on Tri-Berry Gu:

Calories:           100
Fat:                    0 g
Sodium:            55 mg (2% DV)
Carbohydrates: 25 g (8% DV)
   Sugars:             3 g

A lot of people have problems with the consistency of Gu--I've heard people say it's like swallowing a loogie (yes, a loogie).  However, I don't have a problem with it.  Perhaps I'm just so used to the thickness that it doesn't bother me.  Like I said earlier, the tri-berry has a really good flavor: not too sweet, and it actually tastes fruity.  The packets say to consume the Gu 15 minutes before, then every 45 minutes when you're working out.  I think that's a lot like the "buy new shoes every 500 miles" rule--they just want you to buy more.  While there are times when I feel that I need more, I had no problem getting through Broad Street (which was 10 miles, I took just under an hour and 25 minutes to complete) on just this, and I chose water at a majority of the fuel stops on the course.  However, there have been times where I've felt the need to stick to the "every 45" suggestion.  So long story short: I think that this is a really effective product that gives a good bit of energy which that often lasts a while, which is why I rely on this one in particular so often.  I highly recommend this.


Taste/Consistency: 5 of 5
Effectiveness: 5 of 5
Duration: 4 of 5
Duration:

No comments:

Post a Comment