Monday, May 14, 2012

Energy Supplements: Reviews

So my husband and I were at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day to pick up a new water bottle (my Sigg got snatched at the gym after I left it sitting... sad face), and we had an idea.  We decided that, during this "down time" before we get back into the swing of marathon training for Steamtown in October, we wanted to try a few different energy gels, chews, etc., to see what works best for us.  We also had a gift card, so this seemed like the best time to try it--when it's free!  So over the next few weeks, I'll be writing posts whenever I try these gels and such out.  If I can figure out how to put all those posts on one page, I'll do that for the sake of organization. 

I intend to post the nutritional facts and my take on the taste, texture, and effect (both energy and whether it makes me sick--I don't exactly have a stomach made of steel) I notice, and I'll mention any notes from Doug, as well, since he can tolerate some of these things better than I can, and since we have differing tastes to an extent.  Also, I stopped eating gelatin a while back because of what it's made of--unless you're OK with giving up gummi bears, I don't recommend finding out!  Anyway, the only supplement I've found that has gelatin in it is PowerBar Energy Blast Chews--Doug will be trying those, and maybe I can get his input on them.  Below is a list of the supplements I've purchased so far--please let me know if you recommend any others that I should try:

  • Honey Stinger Waffles
  • Honey Stinger Chews
  • Gu Energy Gel
  • Gu Roctane
  • Gu Chomps
  • PowerBar Energy Gel
  • Power Bar Energy Blasts Chews (Doug is the only one trying these!)
  • FRS Healthy Energy Chews
  • Gatorade Prime
  • Clif Shots
  • Clif Shot Bloks
I'm also thinking of ordering Nutrilite chews--I got to try them at the RNR Philly expo last year and loved them, plus I love that they're all natural.  Also, I've heard good things about Hammer supplements, so I may give those a try.  Maybe just plain ol' chia seeds, too?  Again, please give me any recommendations you have!  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. One minor correction. The Shamrock marathon was on 3/18 (not 3/17). It was my first marathon too!

    ReplyDelete