Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Taper Madness: Week 2

The week I've been anticipating for six months is finally here!  Yes, it's Steamtown week--four days until the big race.  I've still not decided on a pace strategy entirely.  They say you should set three goals: a "reach" goal, a slightly more attainable goal, and an even more attainable one.  I've set my three at 3:50, 3:55, and under 4 hours.  Given how easily I've done a 9-minute mile for my long runs and my comfortable 1:48 at RNR Philly, I wonder whether I should set higher goals.

I'll be honest, the taper hasn't been so bad this time around.  Like I said in my last post, before my first marathon, I was sick, achy, and diagnosed myself with a plethora of injuries to my left leg.  This time, I've had a few random aches, but I attribute it to my body repairing itself a little while it has a chance.  I'm not sick, either {knocks on wood}.  I'm actually pretty excited to have the opportunity to run through several towns in beautiful NEPA on a nice fall day.  At least I hope it will be a nice fall day.  Further south (here in Harrisburg), trees are already changing, so I'm sure it will be beautiful further north.

Long story short, the taper madness isn't as crazy this time around.  I'm actually pretty excited for this race and my biggest concern is not being able to sleep the night before the race... I never can.  I'm attributing it to being better-trained this time around and having already done it once.  Or am I just crazy?  I've got this little nervous tic that has me thinking it might set in tomorrow or Friday, too.

So..... what crazy taper experiences have you had?

No comments:

Post a Comment